Edition: 1st Edition, Hardback
Read: November 2012
Rated: 2½ out of 5
Rick Warren gives a simple message about what is Christmas and what is the proper response of those who understand the message of Christmas. The book is broken down into four parts:
• The Purpose of Christmas
• A Time of Celebration
• A Time of Salvation
• A Time of Reconciliation
The message of Christmas is that God came to earth as a baby who became a man, bringing salvation through the cross which brought reconciliation between God and us. Christmas is the celebration of this baby's coming. That is the book in a nutshell.
I found this book to be more of a book-length tract by a famous author. As such, it is more of a simple message for those who have not understood the message of Christmas before. The writing was ok, but not particularly inspiring—or maybe I have gotten too acclimatized to the message and need to have my eyes revitalized.
Notes from my book group:
• Why is Christmas such a big deal. This book addresses this question in a simple way.
• The little stories bring life to the book.
• We are so used to Christmas, we lost track of what it means.
My book group questions:
• What is the purpose of this book? Does Warren fulfill the purpose?
• Was this book meaningful to you?
• What traditions do you and your family have to celebrate Christmas? Will you be starting any because of this book?
• How would you use this book?
• Who would you give this book to?
- First Line: It's the largest celebration around the world each year.
- Last Line: You are needed and you can make a difference with your life as a P.E.A.C.E. Partner or P.E.A.C.E. Professional.