Author: Ben Acker and Ben Blacker
Read: July 2014
Rated: 3 1/2 out of 5
The Thrilling Adventure Hour is an old-time radio type podcast. It is in about 20 minute segments where an almost impossible situation occurs and the hero(s) saves the day.
I think that without hearing the podcast, this graphic novel(comic book) would be flat. But while reading it, I could hear the voices which was part of the broadcast. So as a stand alone book, this would not have made it. With the podcast, it is interesting, amazing and enjoyable to read. But it is nothing which very many brain cells died trying to wade through it or understand it.
One person in my book group talked about how a certain comic book, not this one, brought out bad in a cute form. I have thought this in different ways, but none so concise as this description. A message can be brought to us in some very insidious ways. The simpler it is, the easier it is to swallow. That is why we can not accept everything which is brought to us. Even if it is "just a children's book".
I spent some enjoyable time with The Thrilling Adventure Hour. For what it is, essentially a comic book reproduction of a podcast, it is pretty enjoyable. But I would not expect too much more out of reading it besides an enjoyable day reading.
Notes from my book group:
- Who read the book first and listened to the CD's? Vica versa? Which made more sense?
- Definitely it made sense to hear the podcast first, then read the graphic novel.
- Why was this book selected for our group?
- He wanted to bring joy and happiness to us-which there was lots of laughter during our discussion.
- What did we think of this format? (graphic novel/Comic Book)
- Is it appropriate for our group? That would be more the comic book format.
- Was presentation done well?
- When you listened to the podcasts and read the book, which seemed more appropriate?
- Which story stood out? Why?
- Captain Laserbeam and Beyond Belief was from the person who recommended it. Most of the rest of us liked Sparks Nevada
- First Line: Justice rides a rocket steed across the crimson plains of the fourth planet.
- Last Line: Whomever you are, we couldn't be more excited to have you aboard for this, which we see as just the beginning of a long thrilling adventure.
- Sparks Nevada, Marshall on Mars
- Phillip Fathom
- The Cross-Time Adventures of Colonel Tick-Tock
- Captain Laserbeam
- Cactoid Jim, King of the Martian Frontier
- Jeffersopn Reid: Ac American
- Tales of the USSA, United Solar System
- Down in Moonshine Holler
- Amelia Earhart, Fearless Flyer
- Beyond Belief
- Thrilling Adventure Hour web site
- iTunes web site
- Wiki site
- Facebook site
- Fandon site
- Author's Web Site