Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Prophet

Book:  The Prophet
Author: Khalil Gibran
Edition:  iBook from Google Books
Read:   Sept 2013
 62 pages
Rated: 1 out of 5

Synopsis:
Almustafa is able to return to his home city. As he is about to return, the residences of his current residence asks him to expound on a variety of themes-wealth, marriage, love and other items.

Evaluation:

When I was in college, this book was popular, even among Christians. For so reason, I never read it. That is until I walked the John Muir Trail. I decided to read The Prophet. Finished it a month later. 

So what is my impression? Well, not much. If you read the Bible, hear sermons, and generally look for good teaching, you will find the same themes. Even better, these items will go deeper than Gibran does. So, I do not have too much to say about this book, except to say others saw more than I do

 



 
Good Quotes:
  • First Line:  “ALMUSTAFA, the chosen and the beloved, who was a dawn unto his own day, had waited twelve years in the city of Orphalese for his ship that was to return and bear him back to the isle of his birth.”
  • Last Line:  And when all the people were dispersed she still stood alone upon the sea-wall, remembering in her heart his saying: A little while, a moment of rest upon the wind, and another woman shall bear me”
  •  

References:

No comments: