Sunday, November 23, 2014

Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life

Book:Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
Author:Cloud, Henry, Dr, and Townsend, John, Dr
Edition:eBook from Fresno County Library on OverDrive
Read:November 2014
514 pages
Rated: 2  out of 5

Synopsis:
The authors talk about how many boundary issues can be traced back to improper parenting. Either the parent(s) did not respect the boundaries the child growing to maturity tried to set, defining themselves, or the parent(s) did not set appropriate boundaries for the maturity of the child.  

From here the authors talk about various myths and laws of boundary setting. This is as far as I got.

Thoughts:
Throughout Scriptures, people are reminded of their choices and asked to take responsibility for them.  ... Setting boundaries inevitably involves taking responsibility for your choices. Chpt 2


Evaluation:
I only go through about a third of this book, even though I am interested in the subject matter. Cloud and Townsend approach the subject from a Biblical point of view, reminding the readers that it is a matter of defining ones self is the essence of setting boundaries. I am this, but not this, so I will or will not do this. Failure to set and maintain these boundaries encroaches on who we are as a person.

Now the question is why did I not make it farther than a third of the book? I had enough time. But I found the more I read, the more I was skimming. I think it was because Cloud and Townsend was not presenting anything relevant to me, and what they were presenting was pretty much a done in a way not to interest me. Given that several books which I enjoyed and received good information from references Boundaries, I suspect there may be more in the book than what I have read.  But at this point I will not read more.


Good Quotes:
  • First Line: The alarm jangled.
  • Last Line: It is our prayer that your biblical boundaries will lead you to a life of love, freedom, responsibility and service.
  •  Boundaries are anything which helps to differentiate you from someone else, or shows where you begin and end. (37)

Table of Contents:


References:

No comments: